As a student you should:
- keep information about service users and carers confidential, and only use it for the purpose for which it was given.
- follow local policies or guidelines on confidentiality produced by your education provider or practice placement provider.
- remove anything that could be used to identify a service user or carer from information which you use in your assessments or other academic work related to your programme.
- If any confidential information raises concerns about the safety or wellbeing of someone, you should discuss this promptly with an appropriate member of staff at your education provider or practice placement provider.
What the standard says:
5.1 You must treat information about service users as confidential.
5.2 You must only disclose confidential information if:
- you have permission;
- the law allows this;
- it is in the service user’s best interests; or
- it is in the public interest, such as if it is necessary to protect public safety or prevent harm to other people.