Skip navigation

UK taxpayers can claim back tax on their renewal fees every year. If you pay tax at the standard rate of 20 per cent, you can to claim around £23 back on your one-year £116.36 renewal fee.


Ways to do it

  1. If you complete a self-assessment tax return, you can claim tax relief from your registration fees on the employment page of the return.
  2. If you do not file a tax return, you can claim tax relief using form P87: Tax relief for expenses of employment, available to download from the HMRC website.
  3. You can telephone HMRC and ask for relief on your fees. Contact details are on the HMRC website

Claim process and details

  • You must claim within four years of the end of the tax year that you spent the money.

    You should receive the credit two weeks after you submit your claim, but this can differ depending on your individual circumstances.


  • Tax relief must be sought from HMRC and cannot be directly deducted from registration fees paid to HCPC. If you are an employee and you have claimed the fee back from your employer as a business expense, you cannot claim tax relief. HCPC is not affiliated to any tax reclaim agencies.

  • You can claim back up to 20% of your fee, provided you pay the standard 20% tax rate and have documentation of the payment.


  • If you do not file a self assessment tax return, you’ll be using the P87 form (‘tax relief for expenses of employment’). This allows you to claim for the current financial year as well as backdating a claim to the year 2011-2012 (including that year).

    If your total professional fees and subscriptions exceed £2,500 in any tax year, you will need to complete a self-assessment return to claim from previous years.

  • HMRC usually make any adjustments needed through your tax code for the current tax year. If a claim is made for a HCPC registration fee after the end of the tax year, this will be repaid by a payable order or bank transfer.


  • HMRC's Tax Guide for Health Professionals is an online guide that makes it easy for healthcare professionals to understand when and how to pay the right amount of tax.

    It covers:

    • when and how to tell HMRC you have started self-employment
    • the type of National Insurance contributions you may have to pay when you are self-employed
    • the type of business records you may need to keep
    • business expenses and tax allowances
    • tax Returns and Payments
    • self-Assessment online tax return
    • VAT and PAYE obligations

    Useful tips and practical case studies are also included covering people who are employed and self-employed.

    Further details, including allowable expenses, eligibility and claiming back tax for past years are also on the HMRC website.

    Go to the Tax Guide for Health Professionals

Still have a question about fees and tax?

For more information about fees, please contact our Registration team:

Tudalen wedi'i diweddaru ymlaen: 09/11/2023